Monday 8 March 2010

IMAGINAY/ UNREAL SITUATIONS AND POSSIBLE CONSEQUENCES

Most of us are quite poor, aren't we? :S but let's imagine that we have the chance to become rich...
If I won 10 million dollars I would travel around the world and I would buy all my clothes in Paris!
What about you?.. What would you do if you won 10 million dollars?

Here is a video with some people who answer this question.


When we have an IMAGINARY or UNREAL CONDITION we express it in past:
IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY (but I don't have :( ) ... IF I LIVED IN ANOTHER COUNTRY (but I live in Mexico) .... IF I COULD SPEAK ENGLISH PERFECTLY (but I'm still studying)
And to express the POSSIBLE RESULT of this imaginary situation we use WOULD/ COULD + simple form or WOULD'NT /COULDN'T+ simple form.

Examples:
If I had a lot of money, I wouldn't work and I would enjoy life!
If I lived in another country, I would live in Japan but I couldn't eat delicious Mexican tacos.

This structure is called second conditional and we use it to express an unreal situation, dreams or hypothesis and their posible imaginary results.

To form it we need two clauses: the condition + the result (the order doesn't affect).

The condition: if + simple past
The result: would/ could + simple form


Affirmative: I would get a better job if I spoke three different languages.
Negative: If I worked near home, I wouldn't be so tired commuting long hours.
Question: What would you think if I sang out of tune? If you saw somebody sick, what would you do? If you didn't have money to go home, would you ask for money in the streets?



LINKS TO PRACTICE

http://www.better-english.com/grammar/cond2.htm
http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/conditional-sentences/type-2/exercises
http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/conditional-sentences/type-2/exercises?02
http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/StudyZone/410/grammar/2cond1.htm


TASK

If you found a magic lamp what would you ask for?




16 comments:

  1. if i found a magic lamp, i would wish a big house.
    if i found a magic lamp, i would ask for money because i´d like to travel to another country

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi hi hiiii teacher =P

    If I found a magic lamp, I would live in a World without frontiers. I would like to travel like Mayra but I can't stand the politic system in the world and their restrictions for visit other places.

    Well, this is my opinion =D

    Teacher and Partners Have you ever seen the ClockWork Orage?? It's a good movie.
    Like the leader os the gang " Bye bye byeeeeeee"

    Good Night People

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I found a magic lamp, I would request to disappear all violence, the wars and the poverty, I would like to travel around of world and I would request to be very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mayra>> that's nice that you could manage to post your wishes for the genius of the magic lamp ;)
    Erika and Oscar>> Wow guys! I'm amazed you are so kind and thoughtful... if I had a magic lamp I would care only for myself and the ones I love.. I know I'm bloody selfish :S
    Oscar>>I have seen the movie many times and I really like it we can use to to discuss many topics about society and human behavior... "I'm singing in the rain.. I'm singing in the rain..." You should post this kind of questions in the chat box... so we can discuss about the topic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ANGEL IPG 704

    If i found a magic lamp. I would ask for money and I would ask a red motocycle similar to doctor House and many beautiful girls living in my very big, confortable and bautiful house that also ask for the magic lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I found a magic lamp, I would ask the world peace, poverty was over, and I would ask my college degree.

    Party at the home of Erika. Oscar invites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. if i found a magic lamp, I would ask a big house in France or Germany and a spacecraft from travel for every galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I found a magic lamp, I would travel around the world, I would ask for a new car, and I would like to meet Johnny Deep! hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I found a magic lamp, I would asked that my mother has a long life and I would go to famous places around the world

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I found a magic lamp, I would ask much money to buy a big house, I would travel around the world, and I would never work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angel> you would have many beautiful girls XD... Ari> would you have your college degree diploma without studying? O.O Yessica, Mercedes, Liz and Jon> I would also like to meet Johny Deep and travel a lot around and outside the world :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I found a magic lamp, I would buy a big house and would meet famous people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. if a found a magic lamp i would ask for live more time and have a good healty, though also a big dog too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I had the luck to find a magic lamp I would ask him three wishes, the first a long life full of health for my mom, the second to get a job that pays me very well and the third travel around the world and meet all beautiful places with my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I found a maguig lamp I would help poor people. I would build hospitals for children and also I would travel with my family and I would buy presets for my brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I found a magic lamp, I would like to come back that nice moment when my wife and I met each other for the first time.

    ReplyDelete