Sunday 21 February 2010

LOVE STORY: Narrative tenses.


Use the correct tense (past simple, past continuous, past perfect)


A LOVE STORY

It was Friday again, the day for famous parties at Wellington High School. Students were dancing in the garden and everyone was enjoying the pleasure of being away from boring lessons.
When Sarah came to the party, the music had already started. Tim suddenly noticed Sarah and felt shocked. He had looked for her for 2 years. They had met each other at a holiday camp in 1999, but mysteriously Sarah disappeared after a while. He was thinking about her since then.
At the party, Sarah was talking to one of her friends while most of the students were drinking as much as they could. Tim decided to talk to her and waited for her friend to leave. When he went next to her, she was searching something in her bag, so she didn’t see him. As soon as he touched her on the shoulder, she raised her head and couldn’t believe her eyes. She had never forgotten him.
At the end of the party, no one was happier than Sarah and Tim as they had found each other after 2 years.



When we narrate stories we use: past simple, past continuous and past perfect.
Here are some tips that will help you to know how to use them.

PAST SIMPLE

When we start the narration, the first sentence. Example: It was Friday again...

Lineal narrations. --> --> --> Example: Tim suddenly noticed Sarah and felt shocked.

PAST CONTINUOUS

To set the scene. Example: ...students were dancing in the garden and everyone was enjoying the pleasure of being away from boring lessons.

To emphasize long duration activities. Example: At the party, Sarah was talking to one of her friends... (she talked for a looong time)

An activity with a long duration that is interrupted by one of short duration. Example: When he went next to her, she was searching something in her bag...

PAST PERFECT

To go back in the past. Introduce an event that happened before the one we are talking about.
Examples: When Sarah came to the party, the music had already started. (We are talking about Sarah. She came to the party but before that the music had started: 1° music started 2° Sarah came to the party)
At the end of the party, no one was happier than Sarah and Tim as they had found each other after 2 years. (1° they found each other 2° they were happy)

If you can notice this narration isn't lineal --> --> --> They go back --> --> [ sth before that] -->



Using this tips, share your LOVE STORY...



6 comments:

  1. It was saturday in the afternoon, i had had an awful day in my job, and i just wanted go home. when i got down of the subway, i saw her, she was crying. i walked to her and asked her if she was fine, she told me no, i told her: i have never seen you, i only heard you and that is the reason for i'm here, to help you, we went to a coffee and there she told me that her parents had discussed because her dad had a lover. many hours had passed and the coffee had been left alone only was three couples and one man alone, the sound of music was beautiful, it was a relaxed music, we have had others meetings, she became in my girlfriend and i love her a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen and Robert was met at the school in middle of semestre.
    It was monday, the day for Mr.Molina classes. Students were talking in the middle of the classs, because it was a boring lessons.
    When Karen was coming to sit next to Robert, the estudents had sat and was waiting thaht the class started.He was talking that he had never seen before one amazing, perfect and beautiful girl in his life. He had splited up with his grilfriend. Whe he was watching to Karen,she was searching for something in her schoolbag suddenly Karen saw to him and asked his name he felt that the world was stopped and whit lout out he said, Robert. She was belive that Robert was the most cute boy that she had seen when they were working and talking aboth are fallen in love and he invented to karen to go to a Big party and when they was dancing he kissed her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!!
    The reason of this email is that I have a big problem, the 14th of February I broke up with my ex boyfriend Adam, I don’t know what to do to get him to come back.
    Our relationship had been good but I knew a handsome boy (Ivan) and I went out with him two times.
    The 14th of February I saw Adam and we broke up then I started a new relationship with Ivan.
    However, yesterday I saw to Ivan with a beautiful woman and I thought that she was his wife.
    The problem is that today I decided that I want pass the rest of my life with Adam but he doesn't want anything to do with my.
    You are my best friend and for this I need your opinion.

    I await your answer, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My love story is about my parents.

    This story began in 1980 when my dad met one of my uncles.

    They became friends and one day my uncle invited my dad to lunch at his house when my dad came to the house of my uncle my aunt was sitting in the chair and my mom had gone with my grandmother then my uncle introduced him to my aunt.

    The next day my father asked my uncle if he could invite his sister eat my uncle said there was no problem and had their appointment.

    When my dad was leaving my aunt home my mom was sitting outside and that was when my father met my mother.

    At that time my dad was totally in love.

    The other part of the story I think you know it.

    Eduardo Salcedo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pao>> Nice story! I want to meet the cutest bOy in the world :P

    These are some mistakes. Pay attention to the verbs: was (he, she, it), were (you, we, they)

    Karen and Robert MET at the school
    a boring lesson.
    When Karen CAME to sit
    he students had sat and WERE waiting..
    He SAID that he had never…
    WHILE he WAS SEEING Karen
    Karen saw him
    She BELIEVED that Robert was the CUTEST boy
    both FELL in love and he INVITED karen to go to a Big party and when they WERE dancing he kissed her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was Friday, I remember, he was walking in the hallway of the highschool, when suddenly he saw a girl, she had cried a lot and he said TO her "Don't cry, he doesn't deserve youR tears", she looked AT him and said "I ALWAYS WANTED TO be your friend and someday your girlfriend but I DIDN'T have THE COURAGE to tell you".OK, he said "don't worry because I was WONDERING how to tell you THE SAME... I love you" I KNOW this story because that Friday I found my love...

    ReplyDelete