Monday 9 November 2009

PRESENT PERFECT CONTINOUS vs PRESENT PERFECT

Think of this situation.

Jessica Viviana says:
"I'm an English Teacher. I started to teach English in 2007. That means, I have been teaching English for two years. I have taught 10 different levels."

In this example we are talking about a fact that started in the past (teach English in 2007) and continues up to the present and it is possible that it continues in the future (because that's Jessica's career).

Now, some questions:
1) How long has Jessica been teaching? She has been teaching for two years.
2) How many levels has she taught? She has taught 10 different levels.

In the first question we focus on the TIME, THE DURATION. We answer the question: HOW LONG...?

The grammar tense used to answer this question is called: present perfect continuous.
It is formed:

Affirmative: Subject + has/have + been + verb(ing) + complement.
She has been teaching English for 2 years.

Negative: Subject + hasn't/haven't + been + verb(ing) + complement.
We haven't been eating fat food since we are on a diet.

Question: (Wh- word) + has/ have + subject + been + verb (ing) + complement.
What sport have you been practising recently?

Note: You can use any Wh- word (where, who, what, why) except from: When/How much/ How many...
http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/tests/present-perfect-progressive-2
http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/present-perfect-progressive/exercises

In the first question we focus on the QUANTITY/ THE RESULT. We answer the question: HOW MANY...? OR HOW MUCH...?
The grammar tense used to answer this question is called: present perfect.

It is formed:
Affirmative: Subject + has/have + verb (past participle) + complement.
She has taught 10 different levels.

Negative: Subject + hasn't/haven't + verb (past participle) + complement.
We haven't done anything.

Question: (Wh- word) + has/ have + subject + verb (past participle) + complement.
How many sports have you practised recently?

Note: You can use any Wh- word (where, who, what, why) except from: When/How long...
We don't use WHEN in the questions, because WHEN ask and answer for a specific time in the past. Therefore, for this question/ answer it is used simple past. Example: When did she start to teach English? She started in 2007.

Use of: for /since.
Because we are talking about actions that started in the past and they are still in progress, we generally use time expressions to express when the action started.
For the present perfect and present perfect continuous we use FOR + a period of time and SINCE +specific date when the action started.
Example:
She has been teaching English since 2007. = She has been teaching English for two years. (now is 2009)

http://www.englishlearner.com/tests/since_or_for.shtml
http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/verbs-m_for-since_quiz.htm

Present perfect continuous (have/has been doing) vs present perfect (has/ have done)

Emphasis on time vs Emphasis on result
I have been working all night.
I have worked on the project and it is already finished.

Duration vs Quantity
I have been studying French since I was in elementary school.
I have studied French in 5 different schools.

Emphasis on the action vs Emphasis on the result
I have been watching videos to improve my English.
I have improved my Listening-

Verbs of action vs Stative verbs
I have been dating my boyfriend for 2 months. (Here the verb is: date -- a verb of action)
I have been with my boyfriend for 2 months. (Here the verb is: be -- a stative verb)

Other stative verbs: understand, want, love, hate, have (possesion).

Exercises. Present perfect or continuous?
http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/prepersim-preperpro/exercises

http://www.aulafacil.com/Ingejerc/Lecciones/Ejerc21.htm



TASK

Talking about a collection...
Do you collect anything?
When did you start to collect it?
How long have you been collecting it?
How many items have you collected?

If you don't collect anything... you can talk about a hobby...

9 comments:

  1. yes I do, I have been collecting photos, I started collecting it almost 4 year ago, I have collected an imporantan events since 2005 and, I have collected hundreds of photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do. I have been collecting letters, When I started having friends...since twelve years old. I have many letters and now it hasn´t to end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reyna and Dulce> I like your collections.. Letters and photos always bring good memories :D... Remember: Practise the structure!!! that means write COMPLETE SENTENCES.. If the question is in past answer in past... If the question is in present perfect continuous answer in present perfect continuous. Example: How long HAVE you BEEN COLLECTING it? I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING my friends' letters since I was 12 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I collect keychains.
    I started collecting keychains since I was 10 years old. I have 15 years collecting keychains.
    Now, I have collected nearly 300 keychains, some are trips that I have done and others have been gifts from friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI TEACHER,actually i don't collect anything important but i can say that i have collected music in my computer since i was 14 year old. I have been collecting music for 5 years because y love the music. I have in my computer various genres of music and i have collected an average of 7 600 SONGS

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, I collect lyrics, I have been collecting for two years, because i like the music... so i have had lyrics in spanish and english

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I have a great collection of letters of my best friends. I started collecting the letters from I was twelve years old. I have been collecting letters for eight years. I have many letters and now it hasn´t to end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES,I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING LOVE CARDS, THIS CARDS ARE PRESEN OF MY HUSBAND ALSO OF MY CHILDREN, I HAVE BEEN READING MY CARDS, I FEEL VERY GOOD , I HAVE KEPT CARD FOR FIFTEEN YEARS, I LIKE READING MY CHILDREN

    ReplyDelete
  9. I collection cars of hot-weals.
    I started to collected when I was a child.
    I have been collecting for 8 years.
    I had collect more that 200 but now I have a few cars because my nephews lost it.

    ReplyDelete