Monday 16 November 2009

Past perfect. (the past of the past :P)

The Past Perfect expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past.

It is used to sequence the past events in narrations. It helps to show which event heppened first

For example:

1) A: Why didn't you call me?

B. I wanted to call you, but I had spent all my credit. (that happened before "want to call you")

2) He was nervous because he had never dived before.

FORM

[had + past participle]

Affirmative: You had studied English before you moved to New York.

Question: Had you studied English before you moved to New York?

Negative: You had not studied English before you moved to New York.


Exercises:

Recognize past perfect: http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/StudyZone/410/grammar/pastpf1.htm

Work on the form: http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/StudyZone/410/grammar/pastpf2.htm

http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/past-perfect-simple/exercises

Simple past and past perfect:

http://www.englishgrammarsecrets.com/pastperfect/exercise1.html

http://www.englishgrammarsecrets.com/pastperfect/exercise6.html

http://www.usingenglish.com/quizzes/140.html

Simple past and past perfect in context: http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/verbs11.htm


TASK

You are very annoyed with one of your classmates. The teacher asked you to do a project in teams but he is really lazy and irresponsible so you finished doing almost all the project alone because he never finished the work on time.

Tell us what happened.

Example:

"Ronald is really irresponsible! I don't want to work with him anymore.

Before he answered my text message, I had already sent him 3 messages to his cellphone asking him to call me.

I had looked up for new words and I had written a list by the time he sent his list.

He paid for the material that we used in the project after I had asked him many times to pay it."

10 comments:

  1. hi teacher, I have been trying them call with Nanci but she does not answer. I had worked in the homework, when she talk me, I had already finish the proyect. When Nanci talk me, I had done the homework, I don t went to work with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi teacher I´m going to tell something
    My papartner was irresponsable¡ because he´s never remainded me What we need to do?, so i decided to start it alone, before I had tried to look up more information in the libary then I´ve found a lot of information about it and afther I called him to tell him How was it going to be a topic? but he didn´t answer to me and finaly had thought hat it will happend.

    To be honest I don´t want to work with him anymore

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. english vocabulary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suma utilized similar tone on practically every one of the words, including the last substance word (thing, descriptor, qualifier, and action word) in a sentence. In any case, the last substance word ought to be more conspicuously pushed than all words in a sentence, and Suma was encouraged to make this word more clear, stronger, longer, and sharp sounding than the other substance words in a sentence. TOEFL Speaking Questions

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can’t hold out to learn a greater portion of your articles down the road. thumbs way up!. give a dog ibuprofen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much regarding giving my family an update on this subject on your blog. Please understand that if a brand new post becomes available or if perhaps any variations occur with the current posting, I would be considering reading more and focusing on how to make good usage of those tactics you share. Thanks for your efforts and consideration of others by making this web site available. https://www.forbes.com/sites/garrettgunderson/2016/11/01/how-virtual-summits-are-helping-entrepreneurs-generate-leads-authority-and-revenue/?sh=65df62356367

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello my family member! I want to say that this article is amazing, great written and come with almost all important infos. I would like to look extra posts like this . https://sociallead.wixsite.com/socialleadgeneration/about-us

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great! pole dancing

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have to rely on your self . That’s the secrets involving success. Chauffeur Car Hire in Manchester

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore have already spoken out against the idea, saying that they’d rather not encourage anymore people to stalk celebrities. So, the first thing to do is to decide the purpose of your ad. Airport Transfer

    ReplyDelete