Tuesday 1 September 2009

PRESENT PERFECT vs PAST SIMPLE

The present perfect is used when the time period has NOT finished:
I have seen three movies this week.
(This week has not finished yet.)
The simple past is used when the time period HAS finished:
I saw three movies last week.
(Last week is finished.)

The present perfect is often used when giving recent news:
Martin has crashed his car again.
(This is new information.)
The simple past is used when giving older information:
Martin crashed his car last year.
(This is old information.)

The present perfect is used when the time is not specific:
I have seen that movie already.
(We don't know when.)
The simple past is used when the time is clear:
I saw that movie on Thursday.
(We know exactly when.)

KEY WORDS (time expressions)

Simple Past Present Perfect Simple
  • yesterday
  • ... ago
  • in 1990
  • the other day
  • last ...
  • just
  • over the past...
  • all my/his life
  • already
  • up to now
  • until now / till now
  • ever
  • (not) yet
  • so far
  • lately / recently


Past simple or present perfect

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/verbs5.htm
http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/verbs6.htm
http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/StudyZone/410/grammar/ppvpast1.htm
http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/simpas-preper/tests?test1
http://www.ego4u.com/en/read-on/countries/usa/tour/grand-canyon#exercises
http://a4esl.org/q/f/z/zz29bms.htm
http://esl.about.com/library/quiz/bl_pastorperfect1.htm


TASK

You have to interview a director, actor, writer, singer for the 82th Oscar Award.
Prepare a questionnaire with some questions the audience might be interested to know.

To share this exercise, write your questions and answers the director might give to you.
Example:
Have you won an Oscar award before? No, I haven't but I have won a Grammy award.
When did you win it? I won it three years ago.

5 comments:

  1. 1. what does it feel have won an oscar?
    it is feel very good, i have never won an oscar.
    2. what did you feel it when the marshal said: and the winner is Rachel Mc Adams?
    woooow I couldn't belive it, it was great, all my world moved, i wanted scream, i wanted laugh and the one thing that i made was cry of happiness.
    3. where will you show your prize? I don't know maybe I'll show it in my living room.
    4. where are you going to celebrate?
    i'm going home to celebrate
    5. who are you going to celebrate with?
    with my parents, with my friends and with my boyfriend
    ok thanks for you time and congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.Have you ever been nominated before?
    Yes, I have many times.
    2.Have you ever won a Oscar?
    Yes, tree times exactly
    3.When did you win it?
    in 1999.
    4.Did you come to the Oscar´s last year?
    Yes, Idid and it was wondreful because I met some old friends and we celebrated together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everybody, I am Eduardo Salcedo broadcasting from the 82th Oscar Awards.
    I'm here with James one of the best producers in the world.

    Hello James how are you?

    How many times have you been nominated for this award?

    How many times did you win?

    We know you are nominated for the film Avatar.

    Where was this movie filmed?

    How many millions of dollars were spent?

    We know that broke box office records.

    How many million tickets sold?

    Thanks James and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eduardo>> I moved your comment to this section I hope you don't mind :P Very creative questions... Just check this one: How many millions OF tickets WERE SOLD?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever WON an Oscar?
    When did you win it?
    Did you come to the Oscar's last year?
    How MANY OscarS did you win?
    Have you ever been GREEN OF envy of another actor THAT won ONE and you didn't? Who?
    How did you feel when you WERE nominated?

    ReplyDelete