Friday 22 May 2009

Avoiding repetition.

Hi Guys!

To avoid repetition in many languages, it is common for words to be missed out (ellipsis or omission) or substituted by other words: pronouns, synonyms.

We use these resources to make comments in conversations and avoid repeating info that has just been given or to shorten our speech when the meaning is clear without saying the complete sentence. Examples:

OMISSIONS

A) I can run long distances without getting tired.
B) You can't (run long distances...),,can you (run long distances...)?

A) Are you going to the match?
B) I'd like to (go)

SUBSTITUTIONS

My father works for a foreign company. He likes his job.

A) I bought my English book in American Bookstore in Polanco.

B) I bought mine in the FESI bookshop.

SYNONYMS

A) Sorry, I haven't got time to talk now.

B) Perhaps we can have a chat later on.

Check this link to have some practice!


http://www.llas.ac.uk/materialsbank/mb061/8.11/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment